Thursday, September 13, 2007

A Book I Recommend

I recently expressed willingness to consider being a Sunday school teacher at the church we started attending recently...and at the teachers' meeting (which came within a couple of hours of said expression), I was lent a book I had never seen before. By the comments on it, I gather it's a classic: The Seven Laws of Teaching, by John Milton Gregory. It was first published in 1884, and though it is written in a fairly old-fashioned style, it is quite readable.
I have only read to partway through the 4th chapter, and though I haven't been hit by any amazing and earthshaking ideas, I do believe the book is solid and the thoughts expressed in it make sense--that's the reason there's nothing amazing and earthshaking. It's about as solid as going over the laws of chemistry to a chemist--a chemist would know that the laws exist--even if he for whatever reason doesn't know what they are by heart, he knows by experience that they're true and unshakeable. I think this is a book that every homeschooling mother and every classroom teacher ought to read, whether to affirm what she's already doing or to help her do it better.
On the back cover, the Christlife Magazine says, "For succinct, usable material on the art of teaching, this book in our judgment, cannot be surpassed." There are various other quotes in praise of it, too.
I could go on and describe the contents of the book but I think it ought just to be read. It wouldn't take long; I read the first few chapters in the segments I could find of an afternoon.

No comments: